This Carrot Baby Food Puree is a great starter puree for your baby! Filled with nutritious steamed carrots and a pinch of nutmeg, this easy-to-make, andfresh-tasting recipe is a great starter puree for your baby.
- They contain a ton of beta-carotene, the precursor to vitamin A, which is necessary for protecting eye health and immune function.
- High Source of antioxidants to help strengthen immunity.
- Good source of fiber, which helps to keep the digestive system working properly.
- High in vitamin K, which is necessary for blood clotting.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Servings: 24 ounces
Age: 6+ months
- 1 lb carrots, trimmed, peeled, and roughly chopped
- pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup reserved water, fresh breast milk, formula, or fresh water
Steam: In a medium saucepan, bring 2″ of water to a boil over medium heat. Place the carrots into a steamer basket, cover, and cook for 9-11 minutes or until tender. Reserve steamer water. Let cool slightly.
Transfer: Place the cooked carrots into a blender or food processor and add a pinch of nutmeg, or any spice/herb you are using. Add 1/2 cup of liquid.
Puree: turn on the blender or food processor and puree for 1-2 minutes on medium. If the puree is too thick, add 1/4 cup of liquid in at a time, until you achieve desired consistency. I had to add 1 1/4 cup of water in total.
Eat: Serve and enjoy, or freeze some for later.
Age: 6+ months
Yield: roughly 24 ounces
Notes on Nutmeg: adding spices to your baby’s first puree is completely optional but totally safe. Nutmeg rounds out the acidic taste carrots sometimes have and make this puree taste grounded and full-bodied.
Additional Spices: Feel free to substitute in a pinch or two of ginger powder, freshly minced ginger, curry powder, cloves, finely minced fresh chives, or 1/4 minced garlic clove.
Storage: store this puree in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.